Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Zoe Saldana




Avatar star Zoe Saldana talks race, Lesbianism and her views on life in the latest issue of Mujer Magazine.

On her roots:
“I’m just Zoe. Not a little bit Dominican, not a little bit Puerto Rican, none of that silliness…I am what you want me to be if that’s what it takes for you to overcome your insecurities. As a Latina, I think we should be very proud of our heritage. We tend to look for European roots and reject the indigenous and the African, and that is disgusting. Being Latin is a mix of everything. I want my people to not be as insecure, and to adore what we are because it’s beautiful.”

On her masculine side:
“I have too much of one! People have sometimes told my grandmother, ‘Your niece has a bit of lesbianism in her.’ It’s that my sisters and I spent all our time amongst men. We were very popular with them. Our way of thinking is very masculine.”

But what about her feminine side?:
“If you want to punish me, send me to get a manicure or pedicure, or dress me in a skirt or shorts, and I would die. But if you dress me in jeans and a button down blouse I feel very sexy, feminine and powerful. It has to do with my personality. That’s why I think I’m very attracted to men who or masculine but in tune with their feminine side. I’ve been with my partner for 10 years!”

Her view on life:
“Life is much more and less than what we imagine. Life for me is very simple. When I wake up in my bed I always think, ‘If I’m fortunate enough to die in a bed, I’m not going to take with me material things, or money, or jewelry, or fame – nothing except the profound moments I experienced.”

Love it! It’s something I like about her. She reminds me of a younger version of Jada Pinkett…

Via Mujer


No comments:

Post a Comment